2014 Suzanne Judge. Powered by Blogger.

Thoughts on Prayer

>> Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Here's a great quote from a movie that I've been thinking a lot about lately:

"Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?" (From "Evan Almighty")

My hubby reminded me of this awhile ago when I was complaining to him about something work-related. I think it's such a great quote because it reminds you that are an active participant in your life. It's also kinda' funny because I always find myself praying to God for strength - strength to get through the day, strength to remain positive when I'm facing negativity, and strength just to be the best possible version of myself at any given moment. And of course, I am always finding myself in challenging situations where I'm facing negative people or difficult customers, or I find myself slipping into "woe is me" mode when I should really be saying "Thank-you" for all that I have. Indeed I am getting exactly what it is I am asking for - situations and opportunities where I can be strong, where I can strive to be a positive role model.

I think though that I am going to try something new for the next little while. Instead of praying for things or praying for certain character "traits", I am only going to pray with gratitude (again - my hubby's idea). I am simply going to thank God for all I have, and thank him for the great day I have ahead of me (I usually pray in the morning as soon as I wake up). If I pray from a place of gratitude, instead of a place where I am asking for something - perhaps I will only be given more things to be grateful for. I do this not in a selfish way, but simply from a place of realizing I may need a bit of an attitude adjustment and perhaps could stand to start seeing some things a little differently from now on.

On a lighter note though - here's another quote from that movie that I find almost as great:

Evan (on the ark, addressing a big crowd) "People! The flood is imminent! (everyone looks around, bewildered, and up at the sunny sky. Evan addresses the heavens) "Is it too much to ask for a LITTLE PRECIPITATION?"


:) 'till next time . . .

1 comments:

Unknown September 10, 2008 at 2:03 AM  

Wow Suzanne. That is deep. And it is a great quote - it does make you think. I also pray for similar things and in a similar manner. Having said that, it makes a lot sense. God does give us endless opportunities for everything. He really can't make us do or feel certain things. We do that on our own with his help. This is all a test after all right? And the more I think about it the more that quote is so true. However, for other people I will continue to pray to God to help them in certain ways and what not.
Thanks Suzanne for the eye opener. ;)

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP